What's Bench? Check us out in Medium, Betakit, Financial Post, our Instagram, and our Life at Bench Blog.
We acknowledge that Bench headquarters is located on the traditional, ancestral, and unceded territory of the Coast Salish Peoples, including the territories of the Musqueam, Squamish, and Tsleil-Waututh Nations.
Businesses need to understand their financial performance, but for many smaller ones, this means a trade-off between managing their books and running their businesses.
Our mission is to help every business owner thrive, by providing financial insight and peace of mind in one seamless platform. From creatives to chiropractors, Bench helps thousands of small business owners and entrepreneurs master their financial lives. Because understanding your finances should be three things: simple, effortless, and affordable.
We're growing fast, and we're looking for exceptional people to join us on this incredible journey. Check out our culture guide to learn more about what it's like to work at Bench and read more about our business here!
What does "Bookkeeping Associate - Future Opportunities" mean?
One of our key values is 'Default Open' and with that in mind, here's what Future Opportunities means and how we'll manage through the process for this Bookkeeping Associate position. Currently, we don't have any available openings, but business needs change and we know that we're likely to need Bookkeeping Associates at some time in the next few months. This role is mission critical for Bench, and to be ready for hiring changes, we're building a list of qualified candidates that we hope to add to our Bookkeeping team in the coming months. We will provide updates in each stage of the interview process and will work with our successful candidates to have them placed on the team as soon as roles open. We can't guarantee when the start date will be, so this is best suited to those candidates who have some flexibility regarding when they want to start a new role.
What you'll get up to:
At Bench, we really believe that people are everything, and our Bookkeeping Associates play one of the most pivotal roles: providing the right mix of elegant and intelligent client assistance, and delivering bookkeeping for small businesses using our revolutionary software and app. Our Associates are directly responsible for helping our clients survive and thrive through monthly and historical bookkeeping. This is important now, more than ever.
You'll maintain relationships with small business owners from various industries, both on the phone and through our proprietary bookkeeping platform. With or without an accounting background, we'll provide you with all the tools and training you'll need to be a highly successful Associate.
In a typical week, Associates will spend roughly 50% of their time completing bookkeeping tasks, 40% of their time communicating with clients, and 10% of their time in meetings or training.
What you'll need:
- Minimum 1-2 years work experience in a customer-facing role.
- You're excited by numbers, simple math, or problem-solving, and are content with repeat, detailed work.
- You have experience communicating clearly and articulately on the phone and in messaging. (Note: We do not believe in the idea of "standard" accents for the English language.)
- You're motivated to build a global success story with us. Working for a start-up requires flexibility and resilience.
- A data driven mentality: if you're someone that thrives off of metrics, statistics, and quarterly targets then you'll fit right in.
- A people-centered approach: You understand that people are everything. You're collaborative, optimistic and you listen to understand, demonstrating kindness and empathy in all interactions.
- A drive to make things better: You're not satisfied with "good enough", and nothing that needs fixing is just someone else's job. You love to experiment, try new things, and drive improvement.
- Startup hustle: You are highly motivated, proactive, and are comfortable with change and ambiguity. You have a humble, team-player attitude and are ready to pitch in wherever you are needed most.
- Constant learning: This role is as challenging as it is rewarding. As long as you're someone who's eager to tackle new challenges and are quick to learn new concepts, we'll get you up to speed in no time.
- Tech-savvy capabilities: As a remote company, strong computer skills are important to our success! If you are proficient in communication and collaboration tools like Zoom and Slack, are an expert at using online resources to find your answers, and you enjoy learning how to use new software and tools, you'll fit right in.
What you'll get:
- At Bench we share information freely and openly whenever possible. All Associates joining the team will start at a base salary of $44,000. From there, with Variable Pay and a Tax Season Bonus, the total annual earnings for the role are $50,000.
- In addition, we offer an extended benefits package that includes paid vacation, paid flex days and full health, dental, and vision.
- You'll get unlimited access to Inkblot Therapy, our virtual counselling service to support mental wellbeing, and access to Bravely, our confidential, on-demand, 1:1 professional coaching service.
- Bench has a number of Affinity Groups - groups of people who have shared identities and experiences! The purpose of these groups is to support underrepresented Benchmates and amplify their voices.
- If you live in BC's Lower Mainland, you have the opportunity to work at home and in our downtown office location, depending on your preference! For some roles, we do require folks to be in the office regularly. We'll be sure to outline expectations during the interview process.
- For folks working fully remote, we will provide additional solutions to bring teams together for collaboration and connection.
- Whether you get to use the office or if you work remotely, you'll have access to our Home Office Setup Fund to ensure that you have everything you need to work comfortably from home.
- You will also have the opportunity to work internationally for up to 90 days per calendar year.
Everyone has their own unique talents. Even if you don't meet 100% of the qualifications outlined above, tell us why you'd be a great fit for this role in your application.
We believe that unchecked biases disproportionately impact the most marginalized people in society-including but not limited to BIPOC, LGBTQ2S+ people, immigrants, and people with disabilities. We strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or other marginalized communities because we believe that without you, we are all less. At Bench, we don't stand for tokenism. We stand for representation.
If you are selected for an interview and require support during the process, including disability accommodation, we'll give you the opportunity to tell us when we contact you.