What's Bench? Check us out in Medium, Betakit, Financial Post, our Instagram, and our Life at Bench Blog.
We acknowledge that Bench headquarters is located on the traditional, ancestral, and unceded territory of the Coast Salish Peoples, including the territories of the Musqueam, Squamish, and Tsleil-Waututh Nations.
Bench is a SAAS product that provides small business owners with a bookkeeping platform paired with service individuals that deliver up-to-date books and tax filings. Businesses need to understand their financial performance, but for many smaller ones, this means a trade-off between managing their books and running their businesses.
Our mission is to help every business owner thrive, by providing financial insight and peace of mind in one seamless platform. Bench helps thousands of small business owners and entrepreneurs master their financial lives. Because understanding your finances should be three things: simple, effortless, and affordable.
We're growing fast, and we're looking for exceptional people to join us on this incredible journey. Check out our culture guide to learn more about what it's like to work at Bench and read more about our business here!
About the role:
This role is a leadership role in our Business Operations team focused on developing our service delivery strategies, supporting effective tool usage, and optimizing processes to drive client value and operational efficiency. As a manager, you'll be key to increasing the impact of our service delivery organization and helping Bench grow.
Bench has a product-led strategy. Our service delivery teams support this by augmenting the Bench product to ensure high quality books and filings are completed efficiently. Our service delivery teams comprise of everything after the point of sale including: bookkeeping and tax teams, onboarding teams, processing and quality review teams, and retention teams.
In this role, you won't be an operator that directly manages service teams. Instead, you're owning the strategy for Bench's service delivery organization in partnership with service leaders by leveraging and improving processes, tool usage, and impactful reporting. The leader in this role needs to be intensely curious and data-driven with an overwhelming desire to help service leaders turn insights into action. You'll do this as the business partner to our service leaders, working closely with them to develop service strategy and helping them push operations team performance to the next level.
You will report to our Senior Manager, Business Operations & Analytics.
What you'll get up to:
- Own the service delivery strategy and operations roadmap, aligning with stakeholders to drive client value and operational efficiency
- Work with service leaders to define the customer journey, standardize delivery, and improve the business's ability to take proactive and reactive actions on customer retention
- Diagnose and identify opportunities for improvement of various functions within each operations team including: capacity management, variable compensation, workflow management, and performance management
- Evaluate the performance of bookkeeping, tax, and delivery support tools, analytics and processes and identify opportunities for improvement
- Partner with the business systems and analytics teams to design and launch changes that improve the service team productivity and efficacy
- Ensure processes are designed, documented and adhered to in order to best improve customer experience
- Manage a team of analysts to gather requirements and translate business problems into actionable solutions executable by systems and analytics teams
You'll need to have:
- 4-6+ years of experience in a business partnership, consulting, strategy or operations role
- Not an operator, but a strategist, who supports teams to scale efficiently with systems, data, and processes
- Prior operations experience in SaaS process and strategy, with experience working with retail, call center, or similar front-line customer service departments
- Proficient user of Salesforce, and experience in delivering projects in partnership with systems and engineering teams
- Experience in designing and improving service processes
- Strong analytical proficiency, backed with application (you must have previous experience using SQL, Tableau and Excel/Google Sheets)
- Strong communicator who can tackle cross-functional work, building relationships and influence
- A strong curiosity and growth focus, with a track record of working independently with incomplete information
- Proven ability to develop and manage analysts
It could be an even better fit if you:
- You've led a group of business analysts and have conducted process mapping for complex systems and business processes
- You're a power user in Salesforce and have admin level certification
- You've worked in Agile environments and have experience being a Product Owner for developer/analyst teams
What you'll get:
- At Bench we share information freely and openly whenever possible. The salary range for this role is $96,880 to $121,100 per year, depending on experience
- In addition, we offer an extended benefits package that includes paid vacation, unlimited paid flex days, stock options and full health, dental, and vision
- You'll get unlimited access to Bravely, our confidential, on-demand, 1:1 professional coaching service, and access to Inkblot Therapy, our virtual counselling service to support mental wellbeing
- Bench has a number of Affinity Groups - groups of people who have shared identities and experiences! The purpose of these groups is to support underrepresented Benchmates and amplify their voices
- Bench is moving towards being a fully remote organization and have closed our Vancouver HQ. We will be providing alternative solutions to bring teams together for collaboration and connection
- You'll have access to our Home Office Setup Fund, to ensure that you have everything you need to work comfortably from home, from day one
- We currently focus our hiring efforts in the following provinces: British Columbia, Alberta, Ontario, New Brunswick, and Nova Scotia
- You will also have the opportunity to work internationally for up to 90 days per calendar year
Everyone has their own unique talents. Even if you don't meet 100% of the qualifications outlined above, tell us why you'd be a great fit for this role in your application.
We believe that unchecked biases disproportionately impact the most marginalized people in society-including but not limited to BIPOC, LGBTQ2S+ people, immigrants, and people with disabilities. We strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or other marginalized communities because we believe that without you, we are all less. At Bench, we don't stand for tokenism. We stand for representation.